Namaste

Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Why women's day only?? Got the answer ..!


I just heard her yesterday on radio city with Vasanthi on "Good morning bangalore". At first I thought her to be just another feminist, who came on radio to celebrate the week which can be termed as women's week (for all commercial purposes at least). However, that thought didn't stay for long and infact I gradually got interested in what she is trying to convey.
She was Jasmeen talking about almost every aspect associated with 'eve teasing'. One could visit this site to know about a project which she has started to fight against this most suffered problem (turns out to be the most feared dilemma for many)
I just realized that I, who thought, he knows and cares about many social diseases, is still innocent when it came to this commonly occuring hazard. Believe me, I really gave a thought about using word 'innocent' or 'ignorant' in the previous sentence before settling down for the former. This was what precisely the reason to ask the silly question that became topic of this blog. Ofcourse, there is not just one but many reasons for reminding us that, "Incidentally being a part of this biological race doesn't essentially makes anyone a human". 'International Women's day' is one such reminder. Now, no wondering and debating on "why only women's day and not men's day?". As a matter of fact there are few places in the world where men's day is celebrated viz. brazil, ukraine etc.(different dates) and in our own india too. Yes, the day is september 29 every year and today is the first time I came to know about this... :-( . Although, one can feel the enthusiasm and intensity of this day by the fact that there is no single such day celebrated across the planet and thus nothing truly as 'international men's day'. After reading something like ...
Annie's & Hemangini's experience,
I really request everyone to not remind me that I fall into a category, which is seen with many ugly doubts and thoughts by these sufferers.
Well, there is another aspect of the story that there are infact people like me, who just remain unaware of something so common (its very common, comments on A&H's blogs corroborate this). Although I am not 100% true about myself but certainly didn't know the extent of problem. So, made a record in my blog to keep this learning day with me.
I have concluded that there could be certain reasons for those acts of women (strangers primarily) that were beyond my comprehension and which I termed as really weird. In hindsight infact, I feel those acts indeed would have been comprehensible only if I belonged to that hated community or at the least if I knew about existance of such community (Which I know of, now).
I hope that more of such programmes and awareness activities gets organized than merely focussing on females with archies cards and roses in hand.
The debate, for me at least, ends. I have got the answer.


Image
HAPPY WOMEN'S DAY! :-)


Original post timing: Wednesday March 8, 2006 - 06:15pm (IST)

No comments: